IIT Gandhinagar provides a large portfolio of options for additional learning to undergraduate students. We have innovated in many ways to allow students to pursue learning opportunities of their choice. Students can pursue an Honors in their discipline or obtain a Minor in another discipline/domain. Students also have the option to pursue a second bachelors in a different discipline via our double major program. They may convert their BTech programme into a BTech-MTech or a BTech-MSc dual degree programme, and so on.
- ❖ Dual-Major Options: BTech students can opt for a Dual-Major Programme during their course of study to earn an additional BTech degree in a second branch of their choice. For example, a BTech student in Chemical Engineering could opt for a second BTech in Computer Science & Engineering.
- ❖ Dual-Degree Options: Students who joined a regular BTech programme can also choose to sign up for the Dual-Degree Programme, which enables students to get an MTech or an MSc degree in a branch of their choice (possibly different from their BTech branch) in addition to the BTech degree usually by spending an additional year. Two separate degrees are awarded upon successful completion of the requirements of the two programmes. For example, a BTech student in Computer Science & Engineering could opt for an additional MSc degree in Mathematics or an MTech degree in Electrical Engineering.
- ❖ Minors Programme: A student enrolled in any branch can opt for one or more minors by completing additional relevant courses. Minors are currently available in Automobile Engineering, Biological Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Civil Engineering, Cognitive Science, Computer Science & Engineering, Data Analytics, Data Sciences, Design, Earth Sciences, Electrical Engineering, Humanities & Social Sciences, Management, Materials Engineering, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Natural Sciences, Physics, Robotics, Safety Engineering, Sustainable Development. For example, a BTech student in Mechanical Engineering can opt for a Minor in Computer Science & Engineering and/or a minor in Management.
- ❖ Honours Programme: A provision of Honours is available to all students as an add-on to the BTech degree. Students can enroll for additional courses and projects in addition to the minimum requirements of a BTech degree to enhance the core competence in their discipline and earn BTech with Honours.
We empower students to discover and pursue their passion, with the most liberal branch/programme change policy in the IIT system, offering the opportunity to most students to switch to a discipline/programme of their choice in their second year.
- ❖ Branch Change: A BTech student with a CPI of 9.50 or higher (at the end of the first year) is allowed a change of branch without any restriction. For others, change of branch is considered in order of merit determined by the CPI (with a minimum of 6.50, without any fail grade/backlogs are eligible).
- ❖ Programme Change: Students admitted to the BTech-MTech dual degree programmes through direct admission mode are eligible for a change of programme/branch. This one-time change will be at the beginning of the second year and will be governed by the same branch change policies followed for BTech programmes. For this purpose, the direct admission BTech-MTech dual degree programmes will be considered equivalent to a branch of a regular BTech programme. For example, a BTech-MTech Dual Degree in Computer Science and Engineering student could change the programme to BTech in Chemical Engineering, BTech in Computer Science & Engineering, or BTech-MTech Dual Degree in Electrical Engineering. Similarly, a student admitted to BTech in Chemical Engineering could change the programme to direct admission BTech-MTech Dual Degree programmes in addition to options for change of branch among the regular BTech disciplines.
At the beginning of the second year, after a round of re-allotment of students following the branch change policy mentioned above, students in a direct admission BTech-MTech dual degree programme can request a change of programme within the discipline before the beginning of the second year. This change can be permitted based on merit (similar to a regular branch change), with the constraint that the number of students on roll in the direct admission BTech-MTech dual degree programme does not fall below 50% of its sanctioned strength. The merit at the end of the first year of the BTech programme will be considered for this programme change (without fail grades/backlogs). Change of programme from BTech-MTech dual degree to regular BTech programme can be effected only once at the beginning of the second year.